Monday, August 22, 2011

Off to the Countryside...


Well, Paris was fun for two days, but time to go to Caen in preparation for some hard-core archival research.

Trains, trains, trains. I started out on the Metro and managed to get to the Gare St-Lazare without too much issue. Finally managed to get one of the electronic machines to print my pre-bought ticket. Ah, but the track...there's the problem. Nowhere did anything make a mention of Caen except my ticket. I guess I was supposed to inexplicably know that Caen was the first stop on the 10:10 AM train to Cherbourg. Who knew?

I also don't get the whole idea of “composter” you ticket. It's essentially a time card-like stamp. I already have the ticket with my name on it, why does it have to be stamped. Had to run off the train to do that. And of course the seats follow some randomized inexplicable logic to me. And of course (#2) I had to be randomly assigned to the awkward four seats that face one another across a table. To both of their credit's, the teenage girl across from me was polite and quiet. I also was able to have a tiny conversation with the 80-year-old lady next to me. Score.

Also, observation. French people are SOOOOO POLITE AND QUIET on trains. No cell phones (save one that wasn't picked up) and really REALLY quiet sparse conversation. America, can you please learn from this?

The countryside was absolutely beautiful. Seriously, like every view out the window was a veritable postcard.

The temperature dropped off like no other. I've been dealing with temps flirting with the high 80s F and it was overcast, rainy, and mid 60s in Caen. Wooopeee; tourist weather, clearly.

The Orne River runs right through the city; amazing. Hotel is uber nice (and not that ridiculously expensive).

Found a few really old things to check out. A true Gothic Church in great shape. Ramparts, keeps, and churches...oh my. Also, the Musee des Beaux Arts...solid collection.

But dinner was a bit of a wipeout again. Turns out that nearly every cafe and restaurant closes at 7...which doesn't quite jive with my schedule yet. Will need to work on that so as to not eat Subway again.

So tired. Hence short quipiness of statements. Legs hurt from walking so much. Arms hurt from carrying my insane amounts of luggage around. Sleep must be had.

1 comment:

  1. Its funny, when you were in Paris I was reading your notes and thinking, cool, that's really neat he's in France. But as soon as I read the word "countryside," I immediately had my admiration turn into jealousy. Dammmmmnnnn youuu!!!!

    Continue to have a blast, but it definitely sounds like you need to work on eating more French cuisine.

    ReplyDelete