Friday, September 2, 2011

American(s) in Paris

Because I like to riff off of George Gershwin pieces, clearly.

Started out the morning by investigating the Museum of Modern Art of the City of Paris (not to be confused with the National Museum of Modern Art AKA The Centre Pompidou).  Solid collection; got to see a couple original Cubist works that I had been reading about.  Much to my surprise as I was running out, I ran into Z (I´m redacting names because I´m privacy conscious and whatnot) from Northwestern.  Proof that this large world is in fact getting smaller and smaller.

I made my way to the Centre Pompidou to meet B, another NU student who´s in town for a few days for lunch.  As chance would have it, still another Wildcat, G, also joined us for lunch.  Very, VERY small world...hee hee.

Research finished up nicely at the Pompidou.  I can´t begin to express my thanks and gratitude to the team at the Bibliothèque Kandinsky.  Very cordial and accommodating.  Since I got done a wee bit early, I got to finally check out the Atelier Brancusi, Constantin Brancusi´s reconstructed studio on the piazza of the Pompidou that he donated to the state.  Missed it the last time I was here because of scheduling.  Very interesting setup and speaks to the whole notion of a total work of art.

Found a new bakery right up the street from my apartment with HUGE baguettes for REALLY cheap.  Score.  Also, found a really nice Japanese restaurant for dinner (as man can´t live on microwavable meals alone).  They even gave me a free cocktail as I seemed to be their only customer.  Picked up a slew of groceries to last through the weekend.

So yeah, shortish day all things considered.  Can you tell I wrote this really fast?  I imagine tomorrow´s post will be quite longer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment